Microficiton extra credit: Two Short Stories about Draupadi

 

100 word story: Draupadi’s Broken Heart

Draupadi’s head stung unable to free herself by Dushasan’s grasp to her long, dark, beautiful locks. In each moment as he dragged her, she pleaded to the gods for mercy and their aid. He then threw her like a rag doll amongst the men before her.  She looked around her at the eyes gazing at her and with great intention she stared back in a cold manner. She stared at these supposed noble men but they truly had no integrity. She looked at her husbands each of them in the eyes. Her heart broken at their betrayal to her honor.

 

25 word short story: Queen Draupadi

She stood before the men with her head still held high. She spoke, a voice that contained great power within it “ I am queen Draupadi.”

 

 

Authors note: I was inspired in writing a microfiction of what I imagined the pain that Draupadi went through as she was thrown before the men and her husbands that had sold her. I was also inspired to write about when she decided to speak against being sold. I imagined she had to be very strong and had to have a lot of  courage. I also wanted to give Draupadi's character more of a stronger and more outspoken tone because in the original she seemed much more timid. Although she was timid I think she was still brave for speaking!   I also thought that her demeanor had to show that as well to assert her place as queen. I really liked her character even though her life seemed to have a lot of trouble and sadness in it. I admired her strength to voice and speak out because you do not really see this much in female characters in Indian mythology. 

 

Draupadi

 

Comments

Popular Posts