Week 9 story: Savitri's Love

 Many years ago there lived a noble and wise king that was very blessed. This king had most of things people wanted wealth, health, and peace. Although the king was very fortunate he still felt unhappy. He realized what was missing from his life. This king had no sons or daughters and he prayed to the goddess Savitri, the bringer of gift, to bless him with sons and daughters. He prayed children so  that his palace would no longer be a place of his loneliness but a home full of love. Because the king was just, kind. brave, good, and unselfish the goddess gifted him a daughter. The king made a grand celebration for his daughter and named her after the goddess of gifts. She was given the name Savitri. The princess grew up to be very beautiful and graceful. When she came to the age of womanhood, the word of beauty spread across the lands. She was so beautiful, modest, and graceful that she intimidated the sons of the noble lord and no once would ask for her hands. One day, she sat at her fathers throne and she bowed her head. The king looked at his daughter and said,  " Daughter, you must go find a husband since not one young man has come to ask you for your hand. My dear you must choose a prince of noble hand and if you love him then I will love him too."

The princess bowed before her father and then left to fulfill her fathers wishes. On her journey, she was accompanied by the king's wisest subjects. She searched through many lands for a prince that would captivated her heart. She returned to her father after her journey and he asked, "my only daughter, who have you returned with to present to me?" 

She replied," my noble king, in my journey I came across a blind old king who was deprived of his inheritance. This king has a son who I have chosen to be my husband. "

One of the king's advisor spoke " This man of noble birth is the wrong choice my king. Yes, he is has all the great qualities and comes from noble birth but he is destined to die a year from today."

The king told his daughter, "You must choose another." 

The princess replied with firmness, " I have already chosen, my king. I cannot choose another for my heart has already decided. Whether my prince is destined to live a day, a year, or hundreds of years, my heart is fixed on him." 

The advisor said, " Yes sire, there is no swaying her mind. She must have the prince she has chosen." 

The king consented and gave directions for the wedding to be prepared. The king accompanied his daughter to go speak to the old king and talk of his son. The king found the old blind talked to him for quite some. After some time, the king asked the for his son to marry his daughter. The blind old king was unsure if his son was a suitable match for the great princess. For he had no inheritance just his noble title. The princess's father replied you and I are on equal standing. The blind old king then gave his blessing for the marriage. The son was happy for his unexpected fortune to be married to a beautiful princess.

They got married and savitri left to be a good wife to her new husband. Although there days were filled with happiness the advisors words haunted each day. It was like with each passing day their love grew stronger but numbered. She felt the shadow of death come closer and closer as dreadful day of death for her love approached them. Savitri secluded herself to pray and fast for this dreadful day. The morning that death would come asking for her husband came. Savirti was approached by her husband saying goodbye as he left for work. She begged 

" Please let me go my love!" 

He replied, " The forest is too rough for your tender feet, you should stay here." 

She said back, " I am strong my husband! Please let me accompany you." \

He said, " Very well, but say your farewell to my father and mother." 

She did as he said and they set off to the forest. Savitri was happy to spend more time with her husband but also saddened at the fate that awaited them. It was easier to forget as they walked through the forest together. She was surrounded by  the beauty of nature and her handsome husbands accompany filled her heart with content. The small moments of pure happiness always tainted by the reminder of the dark shadow of death looming to take her love.

Savitri and her husband began to work diligently when he stopped and approached his wife. He looked tired and weak. He had no strength to continue to work. He told his wife 

" I cannot continue. A fever has taken over me and I have no strength." 

Savitri took her husband and rested his head on her lap while she gently stroked his hair. She held him with great love and she could not bare at the thought of losing her dearest love. She lifted her gaze for a moment and saw a horrendous figure. This figure was dressed in scarlet and holding a card. 

She set her husbands head carefully on the ground and stood to ask, " who are thou?" 

The dark figure replied"  Savitri, you are worthy to know. I am Yama, King of the dead and I have come to take your husband for his day has come. She touched his arm and all the color left his body at once. He had taken the very soul of her husband only to leave the lifeless body there. His body no longer warm but cold as ice. He left with her husband to take him to his kingdom of death. 

Seeing him leave with her husband filled her with strength and bravery. Her feet began to move following Yama. Yama, still being patient turned to her and told her to return to her lords body. 

" I cannot for my lord is here. Where he goes, I must go. permit me to go with and I shall say a verse to thee. " 

Her voice lowered to a soft and tender tone and started saying versus of praise and duty. His heart was touched by this and he offered her anything with the exception of her husbands soul. She asked for her father in law to no longer be blind to have the  strength of  a young man. 

He then granted her wish and asked to return. Once again she refused and told him versus of friendship which touched Yama's heart again. He then gave the same offer, anything but the soul of her husband. He asked for her father in law to regain her throne and he granted it. He then again asked her to go back to her husbands dead body. She refused again and sang of praises of charity. She lowered her voice, made it even sweeter and pleasant to hear so she could favor Yama. Yama once again offered her the same thing to which she asked for her father to have sons to inherit the throne. He granted her wish and once again asked her to leave because she had come too far already. 

She replied, " no place is too far. As long as I am with my lord and he with me. "  

She made her voice sweet and soft again and sang versus of praise. This touched Yamas heart again and granted her another wish with the exception of her husband's life." 


She then asked for sons as strong and valiant as her husband. He granted her this and said she will be the mother of great sons. He asked her to return and once again she would try to persuade him with one more verse she knew. She sang of virtue and praise and his stern face grew softer. His heart was greatly touched by her praises and he once again offered her a wish but this time he would giver her anything. 

" I would like the life of my husband. Please give me the life of husband alive and well" She cried. This touched Yamas heart because her love was faithful and devoted. He granted her wish and told her she would have every wish granted that she asked of him. Yama left back to his kingdom without the soul of Savitris husband. She then ran back to the forest as fast as she could to the body of her husband. She placed his soul in its proper home and felt the color,warmth, and life fill her dear love once again. He opened his eyes to see his beloved wife. The both of them returned home to find the blind king no long without sight. The old king also was returned to his rightful place. Savitri spoke of her encounter with Yama and the story of the her love that surpassed even death lived on for many years.

Authors note: I pretty much retold the story of Savitri's encounter with Yama. The story was from one of our reading options called The Gentle Conqueror. I really enjoyed this story and how she was able to stay patient and consistent to save her husbands soul.I also like the fact that the figure of death is not a typical description of one. Yama looked scary and intimidating but he in this story he had a compassionate and merciful personality. I thought that was pretty neat because usually its a scary figure who probably is not very nice and thoughtful! Hope you guys enjoy my rendition! 

Savitri and Yama

 

 

bibliography: The Gentle Conqueror


 

Comments

  1. Hi Emily. I enjoyed reading this story. I found it to be captivating and entertaining. I can relate to the king wanting children to fill up his lonely palace. I adopted three cats this year, in January, and I am so glad that I did because this pandemic and social distancing stuff would be absolutely miserable without my furry kids. So that part of the story reminded me of how my year began. Savitri's loyalty is inspiring and romantic. I am glad she got a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily, usually I would not read through a long story like this because I find myself either distracted or confused, but I was neither of those things as I read through yours! I think it's really great that you added in specific roles for each of the characters to really give them a strong personality, which adds thrill to any story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emily, I love the simplistic yet aesthetic design of your page! You went to great detail on the story and added critical dialogue. Honestly, you nailed everything that I've struggled with so far. Hopefully, I'll read more from you in the future !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Emily! I love that you wrote a longer story, and while I usually would skim through it, I found that every detail of your's was important! You did a great job of utilizing both dialogue and descriptive words, while delivering a clear and captivating story. I also loved the happy ending of it all, and I think you did an awesome job with this story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts