Feedback Strategies

 

Feedback

 The first source I read wads called How to Provide Great Feedback When You're not in Charge.  I thought this was a good one to look at! I am used to being in positions where I am the student talking to the teacher, or where I am talking to my manager.  This could be helpful for this class, and for my life as well.  I liked that this article was able to differentiate feedback into three different groups.  It made thinking about these concepts and applying them much easier.  Appreciation is easiest type of feedback for me to normally to give.  It can be hard for me at times to give criticism, even when it is constructive.  It is something I want to work on and I'm glad we are looking through these strategies so I can get some ideas :) I like being able to express appreciation for other people's hard work and effort.  I know how great it feels when someone takes not of my effort, so I hope I can show others that I notice it as well.  I liked how this article pointed out that when giving feedback, it is important to separate the issues from the individual.  You are not criticizing the person! You are actually trying to help the person.  Reinforcing what went well and encouraging togetherness seem like they would be very useful as well.  I normally feel better when I feel like I am working towards something with the support of others at the same time.  

The next article I picked out is called What Kind of Messages Help Kids Grow.  This one stuck out to me when I was looking through the articles.  I love spending time with my nieces and nephew; it is one of my favorite things to do.  I want to learn more ways to help them grow in a positive way.  I also may be working with kids in the future (I would love to) and I think this could be helpful beyond this class! I like how this article pointed out how generic praise isn't something that is very useful.  While I don't like it normally, it is sometimes something that I catch myself doing.  Tying positive praise to positive actions seems like a great way to help kids grow.  Harnessing the power of yet seems like a fantastic idea as well! I never realized how much I have heard kids say "I can't" do something.  Bringing in the word yet seems like a great way to emphasize that the child is still growing and learning.  Just because they can't do something at the moment, doesn't mean that they aren't doing a great job.  I found it interesting that hearing stories of resilience can help kids.  That's something that makes sense, though.  I feel inspired listening to how my family has persevered in the past.  I was grateful to be able to learn more about feedback strategies! These are some things that I can apply with my young family members as well as at my work.



Comments

Popular Posts