Week 6 Story: Queen Draupadi

 Draupadi sat with the other women waiting for her husbands, the Pandavas, to finish their gambling game. She wondered what one of hr husbands, Yudhishthira, would bet this time. She also prayed that he did not get carried away which he was known to do at times. Suddenly, one of the servent came in and told her the terrible news, 

Queen Draupadi, your husbands have lost everything they own. 

How can this be?! Draupadi exclaimed. 

They were offered everything back if they were to win in another game but they would have to put you at stake. Queen Draupadi, they ....lost. 

Draupadi's beautiful golden skin turned red with anger, she stood fiercly and centered her eyes on the servent. 

Go tell Duryodhana, that I am a Queen and not a simple prize to be bargain and passed around like some toy. I am unwon! 

The servant told this to Duryodhana and he became so angered he sent his wild brother to bring his prize to him.  His brother eyes grew blood shot and he went stomping to pursue and bring back Draupadi.

He entered and spoke with assertiveness,

Draupadi your husbands have gambled greatly and lost. They gambles themselves and lost, now they are slaves. Your husbands enslaved themselves and then they enslaved you! Don’t you see?  They gambled EVERYTHING that was theirs including you beautiful Draupadi. You are now, Draupadi princess slave!

Draupadi rose and with equal authority spoke,

If my husbands gambled themselves and lost,  then they have no authority to put me for prize. For a slave cannot wager wife nor children! My husband wagered himself and lost, there he became a slave. A slave posseses no wealth or anothers life! Your claims are false! Go and tell that to your master!

 

 Authors note: My story was Inspired by the reading this week The Gambling match and Draupadi lost. I thought it was pretty neat to see a character that was strong and outspoken and I really enjoyed that part of the reading so I decided to do my story about it this week. It pretty much is the same just my own words and condensed! Enjoy!


Draupadi


 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Hey Emily!
    Oh my goodness, I LOVE THIS STORY! It isn't often that you read of women being just as outspoken and strong as the male characters are, so reading this was amazing! As someone who is outspoken herself, it was really nice to read about a girl that was just like me. I love how you gave her amazing argumentative skills. I don't think just anyone would have caught that a slave could not wager the life of another. Thank you for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily,
    WOW! What a great story. I really enjoyed your adaptation of the gambling match, which was definitely my favorite story of week 5. You did a good job of conveying Draupadi’s outspokenness. While reading the story the first time it is definitely an aspect of the story that went over my head. I like that you decided to focus on that as it does a good job of speaking out for a strong female character. Unlike that of Ramayana, where the strongest and more outspoken characters were the men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily!

    I like this version of Draupadi immensely! In the version that I read, Draupadi weeped and was passive about being gambled away. It was refreshing to have a different side of her character here. It would also be cool for it to be even more dramatic with her standing up to and lecturing all of the men as well.

    Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily,
    I think your portrayal of Draupadi matches the image that you chose really well. She really lives up to her epithet of "fire-born princess" here! I liked how you used the dialogue and her actions to convey her attitude. In the version of the Mahabharata that I read, Draupadi resisted Duryodhana's claims in a way that was firm, but quiet and dignified, whereas in your version she is fierce and intimidating! It was really fun to see this possible side of her personality.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts