Week 5 Story: Rama and Sita Beginning

 Once upon a time there was a king named Dasharatha with three wives and four sons. Rama, the eldest of the sons, was next in  line for the throne and loved by many. Rama wife, SIta, was very beautiful and adored her husband and he her. Upon the arrival of his coronation Queen Kaikeyi, mother of  Bharata, requested her husband to complete his promises of granting her whatever she desired. He told her she may do this twice and she became worried for her and her son when Ramas time to take the throne grew closer. She requested for her husband to send Rama into exile for fourteen years. With a heavy heart the king fulfilled his promises. Rama took his exile with great nobility and honored his fathers commands. 

Rama warned sita about the Rakshasas in the forest and the dangers that occur  in the fores. He spoke of how different it was outside of the safeness of the palace walls and lifestyle she was use to. Despite this, Sita inssited on accompanying her husband. 

Surpanaka, Ravanas sister, was angry at Rama and wanted to use Rava to get to Rama. She tells Ravana of Sitas beauty and Rava falls for it. He tells Maricha to leave and find Sita as a disguised deer so that he may come in and kidnap her. Sita is enchanted by the golden deer and insist Rama to go get it for her. Ravana comes in and kidnaps Sita in his flying chariot while Rama is pursuing the deer.  Rama comes back to find that Sita is gone. Rama is heart broken at the disappearance of the love of his life and seeks the help of Hanuman and they become allies. Together they join forces to return the two lovers back together once again.


Authors Note: I recently watched  Sita sings the Blues for one of the reading assignment and enjoyed how short and comical it was. I didn't really make my story funny, I just wanted to stick to a condensed short version of some of the first part. I hope you enjoy! 

 Bibliography: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzTg7YXuy34#action=share

Author: Nina Paley
Title: Sita Sings the Blues
Year: 2008

 


Sita Sings the Blues


Comments

  1. Hi Emily, I enjoyed reading your remake of the beginning of Sita Sings the Blues because I have never read the original, but think you did a nice job condensing it. As I was reading, I was fascinated by the descriptive language you used. Maybe in the next part of the story, you could twist the ending, or add in a new character to enhance the original plot line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily,
    You did an excellent job of condensing this piece down into a short story. I believe I would have understood what was going on even if I hadn't actually read the piece myself.
    I wonder, though, why didn't you include the comical elements that you mentioned in the author's note? I think it would be an interesting way to spice up this story and take it beyond just a summary of the work.
    One suggestion of mine would be to include some actual dialogue instead of just summarizing what is said. This way you could also include some of those comical elements that you had mentioned in the author's note. You could include some of the characters' witty banter or just make them seem silly in their thoughts which is another suggestion of mine: to include some of the characters' thought processes. Maybe the way you portray how Sita views the situation could be comical.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily,
    Good job on the story you decided to write. I enjoyed how easy this was to read and how condensed you made it. It was super easy to follow and really simple to understand everything, even without reading/watching Sita Sings The Blues. I wonder what would happen if you decided to put character's dialogue in it? I feel as if maybe it would make the story longer, and you could really engage the audience with this dialogue if you make up or use it from the same story. Also, another option you could do, is break up the paragraphs into smaller sentences and every time it changes a scene or character, you could add that addition in and I think it would make it a way more easy read then it already is.

    I think you did a really good job and there's really nothing I would change, just maybe the suggestions in my post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts